Pages

Wednesday 15 August 2012

Stress Management 101

Last week I was having a chat with someone a few decades younger than me (sigh) and we got on to the topic of maintaining your emotional health.

It is so important to make the inner life a priority, but sometimes that can be hard to navigate, especially if the concept of 'topping up the emotional tank' is new.

I am pretty good at filling my emotional tank. I know when to chill, when to sit in a cafe and read a magazine, to pull up the drawbridge and hunker down, to call a friend for a catch up. But...

Now I am wondering about a tune-up in another realm - stress management. I have never been much of a stress-head, sure I can get fired up about stuff, no mistake - but I don't usually hang on to things. The norm has been that when I leave the office, things I have been gnawing at are usually forgotten pretty quickly.

This season of my life is 'learning curve rich' (ahem) - which I have found quite, well, stressful. Some days this has motivated me to do more, grasp new concepts and rise to the challenges. Sometimes I've been left in tears, wakeful and churning in the wee small hours and basically frickin' discouraged and overwhelmed!

Being in that headspace makes it really tough to remember the successes I have had - this week for some reason that's been especially tough.

BUT I am determined to try and find a way to work it out, because to walk away from the frustration I feel in handling stress would be a really stupid, shortsighted move!

Stress management 101, enrolments now open. Anyone want to sign up or even better offer me some tips?

Serenity now!

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment