Pages

Saturday 25 August 2012

Return to Daylesford


Lunch today was at Du Fermier in Trentham. The food and wine were really, really good, and the service was friendly, informed and relaxed. That makes such a difference - an  everyday ordinary thing, or a special thing like lunch with good friends, can be taken to another level by having people around you that are enjoying what they're doing. I didn't get the name of the guy that served us today, but he was great. Thanks guy! (I want to be that guy in my realm.)

I'm having a weekend away with a good friend of mine.  We've done this trip before, Daylesford is an easy drive from home, and we'll spend time hanging out at our amazing accommodation, wandering around the shops, visiting old haunts, avoiding overrated tourist traps, eating great food... generally having a jolly good time.

As the mist settled over the township this evening, I was struck by how special it is to be ensconsed somewhere cosy and quiet. Good to be away from home for a few days, good to have a friend to come away with, good to just be and recharge the batteries.

The drive up was easy, my 'mixed tape' (I can't bring myself to use 'playlist' yet) made the time pass quickly and it was great to see suburbia disappearing in the rear vision mirror and the hills opening up before me.

I'm not a girl with a passport, so I know I don't have a leg to stand on comparitively speaking, but Victoria ROCKS! An hour and a half from thriving Melbs, I'm in a gorgeous house in a beautiful country town, my friend Sue is cooking a risotto, we're listening to music.... I know that in France, South America and Spain, there are people having their own versions of a weekend away in a cosy regional hamlet, but I really love being right here, right now!

Funny to think that just five days ago I was a having a meltdown and feeling super stressed - life's funny like that, some days you just want to tear your hair out and punch someone in the head, and then you regroup and life's sweet again.

The moral of the story - wherever you are, whatever's going on, it isn't the end (in most cases). If the week is horrendous, like it was for one of the lovely shop owners we chatted to today, it will probably pass and improve, if the days are sweet, then drink that in, it can carry you through dark days that may be ahead.

I love this life of mine. I appreciate it, I'm thankful for what's behind and what's ahead, and most of all I'm thankful for right now. 6.44pm on 25 August 2012 - this is a good moment.

Time for a glass of wine.

Cheers,

Annette x





No comments:

Post a Comment