Pages

Thursday 13 October 2011

What my three year old niece taught me last night

So, another week, another job interview, another anxious wait for a result. The job I went for this week looks and feels tailor made for me - but I can't control the outcome. This could leave me tied up in knots, or I can choose to take a different view.

Today I choose to take the view of life that my three year old niece has - she loves to play, she's creative, and boy, she talks a mile a minute when she's excited.

At the core of her precious little heart I am sure she feels loved, safe and secure.

She loves running around, dancing and instructing me how to play her games 'correctly', and she also loves snuggling up quietly, while I read to her.

So today, I choose to embody her mindset - I know that I'm still everything she is and feels right now, just a grown up version.

Having a job isn't what makes me who I am - yes, it certainly helps. It means the rent is paid with ease, I can eat well, enjoy life without too many money worries. Having said that, whether I've been employed in a warehouse schlepping lipsticks down a conveyor belt or had a job I've felt engaged in and enjoyed, or spent days dreading going to a completely dead-end job in a more 'professional' environment - none of those things define me. They just define my bank balance!

I am a blessed, lucky, heck, pretty content girl - even without an easy answer to the question most people usually ask upon meeting new folks 'So what do you do?'....

Well at the moment, I do things like check on my friend's house while she's visiting far-away family, I stay up late. I cook, I read books to my adored niece, I have coffee with my mum, I do the laundry.

I still procrastinate about housework, so I go to the library, and then I look for a job. I enjoy the sunshine, I like myself.

And as my whiteboard exhorts me to, I deliberately spend time thinking about what I want from my life, which is so good.

Give it a go, even if you're busy from sun-up to sun-down, we could all use a refresher in checking that our lives have the mark of being directed by our choices, not by chaos/default/randomness. 

That's what I do. What do you do?

Stay positive!

Annette    x

No comments:

Post a Comment