Pages

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Who are the people in your neighbourhood??

Today I'm feeling grateful for my lovely neighbours. I know it's very unusual to know, let alone like, your neighbours but I have the great fortune of living on a large block that means I have neighbours right there, yes, just down the driveway.

In the past three years or so (I'm hopeless with dates) I have had the pleasure to live next door to a gorgeous young mum and her little blonde moppet, and now next to some exceedingly lovely young women who are full of life, kindness and neighbourliness.

One of the best things about living next door to A & M was when little M would run up and down their hallway giggling like only a carefree munchkin can. The sound of her laughter coming through our shared walls always, always made me smile.

Then there was the time that A accidentally locked herself out, and M in, and we rescued her by getting her to crawl through the sliding door in their toilet (a relic from the days when the pan man would visit homes to remove people's umm 'recycling' matter).

They've moved on now, and their 'replacements' are just lovely. I've had home made meals deliverd to my doorstep when I've been feeling ill (did I mention that this paticular neighbour is a chef??) and have shared wine and belly laughs with the newest resident at our lovely spot in suburbia.

So, today I am grateful for good neighbours. Heck, even the boys next door helped me move some furniture with good humour, after I brazenly introduced myself and requested a teensy favour.

If you're feeling a bit isolated, try a smile or a wave when you're next at the letterbox and you see one of your neighbours. It could be the start of something beautiful..... street party, anyone?


A x

1 comment: