Pages

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Hump Day in sunny Canberra

Fantastic night's sleep set me up for a great day out and about in Canberra. Blue skies, light breeze, 25 - perfection!
Decided to start at the National Museum to see the 'Glorious Days' exhibition. Really great - so interesting to see Australian life 100 years ago - the cars, sports, fashion and political landscape - definitely worth the $10 entry. Friendly staff, great building, enjoyed lunch on the beautiful deck where I lingered over my meal and the view of Parliament House.
Option anxiety then set in and I couldn't decide what to see next - so much great stuff on in this city and 90% of it free. Ended up choosing the National Archives to see 'Design 29' - an exhibition of the winning bid to design Canberra. Good but not as good as I expected it to be. There was a bid that included a mental asylum - prophetic planning given some of our politicians' behaviour at Question Time!? Their cafe, 'Banned', was a treat - saucy banned books and the govt papers barely discussing their debauchery. Read some raunchy gay & drug addict fiction while enjoying a Coke... the drink people!!
Bus home, snack, my next decision; what to do for dinner.
Loving this city so far.










2 comments:

  1. Thanks Heike, I really want to visit Canberra again. I was there for a serious reason, the Apology, but I discovered a great city with HEAPS to offer visitors! Are you a Canberra local?

    ReplyDelete